Better
late than not at all…I started writing this post when Alice was only 3 months
old. Now she is 14 months. At least I got the majority of the memories
down before they started to fade. I knew
having two babies, especially so close together, would be a lot of work, but
not 10 times more. Yikes! It’s tough some days, but my heart is always
full.
So, I
left off at 38 weeks preggers… I had one last doctor appointment the Monday
before my due date. I went to my
appointment because I unfortunately had not had the little munchkin yet. My body was ready to go according to the Dr.
I was just waiting for her to decide the time was right. I went ahead and stuck with the induction
date, but asked the Dr. if there was any way to skip the Pitocin to make labor
easier on this momma. He said sure you
are so ready that I will just come into the hospital in the morning and break
your water. I was so relieved. I love my
Dr. My mom had been watching Lila for me that day while I was at the appointment
and thankfully so. I got home and we
visited for a while and I was trying to decide if I wanted mom to take Lila
that night or come back VERY early in the morning to stay with her seeing as I
had to be at the hospital at 6 am. I
decided to let her take her the night before as Lila was super excited to stay
with grandma. I was putting the car seat
in the car when I started to feel funny (I’ll try not to get too graphic here
as childbirth is not exactly the cleanest event haha). I went inside and told mom about it. She told me to call Spencer and see how far
away he was. He luckily was just up the
street. When he got there he saw how
concerned I was and thought it best to call the Dr. I called him and by talking to me on the
phone he was unsure of what it was. He
had me go to L&D just in case of a pro-lapsed cord. I said bye to me sweet Lila and mom and off
we went to L&D. When we got there
they were expecting us, so they took us into triage right away. The nurses checked and thought maybe it was a
cyst, but thank goodness it was not the cord.
Dr. Britt got there shortly after and looked. He said it was an edematous cervix?!?! He said in his almost 40 years of being an
OB/GYN he had never seen that.
Grrrreeeeaaaat! He said it was
nothing to worry about and that if I felt okay to go home and sleep in my bed I
could. Spencer made sure there was
nothing else to be concerned about and they discharged us until the
morning. The cool thing is that while we
were there I was hooked up to all the monitors and was having pretty regular
contractions and was dilated to a 4. I
wondered if we would even make it to 6 am.
Spencer and I decided to get a good dinner/date before going home. That night marked to first of many sleepless
nights. Hahaha. I always think it’s
funny that people say to get as much sleep as you can before baby comes, yeah
right! The anticipation alone is enough to keep me awake, we won’t even go into
how uncomfortable you are.
We got
up about quarter to 5 to call the hospital to make sure we could still go in at
our scheduled time. We were still on, so off we went. It was really weird to be headed to the
hospital even though I wasn’t in full blown labor like I was with Lila. They got everything ready to go and gave me
an awesome nurse again. Her name was
Jane and she was so relaxed and let me just do my thing. It’s always such a relief to get a great
nurse seems how they are the one with you 99.9% of the time. Just before 10 am Dr. Britt came in and broke
my water. I was already 6 cm by
then. He and the nurse both said it wouldn’t
be long until our baby was on her way. Sure enough not even two hours went by
and I was begging the nurse to push. She
checked and said I wasn’t quite ready yet, but they got the on-call OB there
just in case. I was having really bad
back labor at this point and could not find a comfortable position. I just kept telling myself we’re almost there
and in my head cursing Dr. Britt to hurry UP! At 12:52PM after only a few
pushes, not even 20 minutes, our sweet little Alice Lia was here! She was 7lbs. 11.6oz. and 20 ½ ins. long. She was a whole pound bigger than Lila and
two inches longer! She was and is SO
beautiful. She let out a good cry and
they put her on my chest right away.
Spencer got to cut the cord again.
It was so amazing and perfect, sitting here thinking about it makes me
teary eyed. The whole event is so
miraculous and special, a day that cannot EVER be forgotten. I really enjoyed
it being just Spencer and I in the delivery room. Even though it was nice to have so many close
family members there for Lila it was really special to do it with just my sweet
husband, the amazing father to my babies, and most importantly my very best
friend. It was such a different labor
experience than with Lila. For so much
of it there was no pain, only two hours I can handle, MUCH better than 15 ½
with Lila. It was also very different
after delivery because they let me just do skin to skin and nurse for two hours
before they started poking and prodding her. They even let me keep nursing her
while they gave her the vitamin k injection, then they took her to weigh her
and check her. I enjoyed that special bonding time with her so much.
Shortly
after, they took Alice to the nursery and me to our post-partum room. My post-partum nurse was so funny because she
told me I would have to stay in bed for a little while before using the
bathroom because of the epidural. I told
her well I didn’t have one and she was shocked. On the way to the post-partum
room, I asked Jane why everyone is so impressed with my ability to go med free
during labor and delivery and if it was really that big of a deal in the
hospital. She said yes that probably 98%
of women end up having an epidural. Not
to brag too much, but I’m just really proud of myself. Don’t get me wrong it hurts like you know
what, but I think I earned the bragging rights.
They changed their policy in the post-partum rooms too by not keeping me
up all night doing vital checks, ugh, that was so annoying when I had
Lila. I actually got a decent night’s
sleep that night. The nurse even
convinced me to let Alice stay in the nursery for a few hours. I could tell from the very beginning Alice
was already a MUCH easier baby than Lila.
She actually stayed asleep for a couple hour stretches at night and she
hardly cried. In fact, I got really nauseous,
yeah I thought that was over too…go figure, that night and while I was fighting
that off little Alice just slept so peacefully in her bassinet next to me. The shift change in nurses even freaked out
because it was a little over the 3 hour stretch for nursing and she was still
sawing logs. Lila, I swear, did not
sleep a wink and screamed for the first 3 ½ months, such a relief to see how
peaceful Alice was and is. She actually was a relatively decent sleeper until
about 3 months when she got sick and then it was like we had to start all over
from day one.
We only
had to stay in the hospital for one night and by the next afternoon we were
home. My mom kept Lila another night, so
we could have a peaceful night with just us three. So, pretty much my whole
family got to come over that evening to meet Alice, but most importantly so
Lila could meet her baby sister. Lila
was so sweet with her and so excited. I
think I was the most excited though. I
loved seeing them together for the first time, but also I had missed Lila. She’s my little buddy. I hate that it has taken me this long to
write this entry because I’m already starting to lose some of those vivid
details. We all ate dinner together and
Lila enjoyed playing with her cousins and didn’t really want to be bothered
with mom. Hahaha not much has changed there.
That night I sobbed like a baby as Lila cheerfully waved goodbye as she
left with grandma and her cousins to spend the night again. I was excited and nervous to have Lila back
with us the next day. Luckily, Spencer would
be home until Monday to help with everything.
Then once he went back to work it would only be a few weeks until his
mom came to help and Spencer got another week off. I was scared to be the sole caretaker to two
babies at first, but we quickly got into a little routine and adjusted. The Boba Wrap I had was a lifesaver, that and
20+ frozen meals. It was also wonderful
to have so many helping hands. Some of
those early days are a blur as I think they always are due to sleep
deprivation. Plus we were under a lot of
stress as is the norm for this family it seems like. Spencer was getting ready to take the MCAT on
May 31st and we were planning Lila’s birthday on June 14th. We made it though and now I can’t believe how
big my little babies are getting.
Alice, momma loves you bigger than the sky! I can't wait to see you grow and change. It will be so fun to see you personality blossom. Happy birthday my sweet baby girl.
 |
| Last belly pic before heading to the hospital |
 |
| hanging out waiting for the doctor |
 |
| Just waiting for the fun part |
 |
| still waiting |
 |
| skin to skin with Alice |
 |
| my view in L&D |
 |
| Proud daddy |
 |
| Alice Lia Scott |
 |
| She still sleeps like that |
 |
| First car ride |
 |
| first morning at home |
 |
| first time with "patcher" and not a fan |
 |
| First picture as a family of four |
 |
| Sisters! |
 |
| Grandma holding her newest grand baby |
 |
| one week old |
 |
| this blanket is now her lovey and it was kitted by grandma great |
 |
| sister time |
 |
| Lila and Alice |
 |
| nap time |
 |
| cousins |
 |
| just hanging out |
 |
| modeling our new flamingo outfit from grandma |
 |
| sister play time |
 |
| Granny to the rescue |
 |
| sister love after their first bath together |
 |
| yummy Pappasitos dinner with Granny |
 |
| we both loved the Boba |
 |
| Happy daddy and baby |
 |
| still a mommy's girl |
 |
| cuddles |
 |
| milk time for skinny baby |
 |
| One month old |
No comments:
Post a Comment