Friday, January 31, 2014

Sick Babies are NO Fun

Not sure why I feel inclined to write this post, but I do.  We have had a TERRIBLE cold and flu season for the whole family including the Emmons' and Boring Bunch.  When Maia and Brent moved from Shiner Spencer had a pretty nasty cold and from there it has just been one thing after the other.  It was about a week before Thanksgiving that Spencer came down with the cold.  He helped Brent and Maia move that weekend and shared with all of them.  Lila and I caught it as well, but it was only bad for a few days and then we were fine.  Well about 2-3 weeks later Spencer got sick again with what at first seemed like a cold, but we later figured out was a sinus infection.  Maia and I also got hit with a sinus infection a few weeks after our colds dissipated.  Lila thankfully never had her cold turn into one.

Then right before Christmas Lila got a stomach bug. YUCK!  Luckily the really gross part only lasted about 12 hours, but the nausea and loss of appetite lasted almost a full week.  Just about everyone in the family got this bug.  I think only Grandma, Poppy, Brent and Hannah made it through that one.  Lucky ducks!

Then just after New Year's Lila got a fever (only lasted a day, but was high 103) and a weird rash on her tummy and diaper area.  I think it was hand, foot and mouth disease, but a VERY mild case of it.  It only seemed to bother her for a few days and she was back to normal.  No one but Lila had any illness from that one.

Then just shy of 2 weeks ago Grace got really sick.  Fever, chills, aches and pains, and sore throat.  We had just been with her the day she got sick and I thought great now we get the flu.  Grace ended up however with Strep Throat and thankfully no one else got that one.

Just shy of a week after Grace came down with Strep Throat Lila got REALLY sick.  She started acting odd Sunday and by Monday afternoon had a fever.  The only other symptom I noticed with her was a stuffy nose besides the aches, pains and chills that come with having a fever.  She was miserably sick with a high fever, the highest it got was 104, from Monday afternoon until Thursday late morning.  I knew her throat wasn't sore though because she did a great job taking in fluids and never complained about her throat.  I guess I feel so inclined to share this is because that is the hardest thing I think I've ever had to go through.  Seeing those temps of 103 and 104 were terrifying.  There was about half a day where I had an extremely hard time getting her to take in fluids, which scared me to death.  I have this terrible habit of imagining the worst possible scenario.  Thank goodness this didn't even warrant a trip to the pediatrician.  On Thursday I called and got an appointment, but just a few hours after making the appointment Lila started getting up and moving around and eating like there was no tomorrow.  There were so many times though that I would just hold her and cuddle her and cry wishing my sweet, happy, lively, energetic baby back.  I couldn't even think that I wish I could take this illness from you because then I would be putting her little sister in danger with that high fever.  So far and luckily Spencer and I haven't gotten sick.  It sounded like the flu, but there is no way to be sure.  Could have been the flu, sinus infection or just some weird kid virus that Spencer and I have already had or our bodies know how to fight off.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't end up with that high fever.  Needless to say I am SO happy that she is almost back to herself.  She is still a little sluggish and weak with a appetite that is hit or miss, but the worst part is over.  One night talking to Spencer while holding our feverish baby we talked about just how hard it is to have a sick child, the worry and sleeplessness from the worry.  I expressed how hard it is to be a parent.  Don't get me wrong it is the best most rewarding thing on this planet, but it's hard.  It's hard to love someone so much because you worry.  You want everything to be perfect for them.  You don't want them to get hurt or be sad or get sick, but you also know that all those things are just part of growing up and life in general.  I love being a mom so much and am so grateful to have a healthy and happy little girl. I just can't believe that she is 19 months old and besides that one short day she had a fever she has not had a severe illness, mostly just a few colds here and there.

So today I called my mom to see if we could come over to watch the Superbowl on Sunday and she tells me Seth is sick with a cold (eye roll).  What is it this season?  Guess we won't be seeing the Emmons' or the Boring's for a while still.  hahaha.  Hope you feel better soon little dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment